Saturday, August 28, 2010

The Dreaded Day

Well, it finally happened.  You know....the day you always dread as a mom.  The day you hope will never come.  The day you know will make you cry.  But you know that it's inevitable.  It's bound to happen....sooner or later.  And for me, this day came on Tuesday after eating lunch with the kids.

I was saying my goodbyes...hugs and kisses all around.  I bent down to hug my 2nd grader...in which, he did return the hug.  But, when I turned to kiss him....he all the sudden became too cool to kiss his mom in front of his friends.  Just like that.  His desire to appear "cool" in front of all the other 7 year olds sitting at his table overtook his desire to kiss the person who gave him life....who walked around for TWO WEEKS having constant contractions and dilated to 4 cm.  The person who would give up her life for him.  His coolness was much more important.  His independence was much higher on his list of priorities.

So I guess this is now how it will be.  Hugs, but no kisses (well, at least not in front of his friends). 

Please, God, please....let me hold on to their innocence just a little bit longer. 
Blog Signature Brown

No comments: