Monday, May 17, 2010

Ballet Debut

Well, we survived our first dance recital.  It was sooooo long!!!  But really alot of fun.  Madilyn's class was the third to dance...out of 45 dances.  Yes, you read that right....45 dances.  She was a beautiful ballerina.  Even though she had a little bit of stage fright and at times just stood there...she still did great!  At her age, you just hope they get on stage and make some sort of attempt.  Which she did.  So we were pleased!

For those of you who have never taken dance or have never had the pleasure of getting yourself or your daughter ready for a dance recital, let me just tell you it is quite an ordeal!  Their hair had to be back in a bun....and not just any, ole bun.  It had to be pulled back very tightly.  With lots of gel to keep "flyaways" smoothed down.  And you want to make sure the bun is flat to their head and not sticking out too much.  Fortunately, my good friend, Laura, is a pro at this and gave me some good tips.  So Madilyn had about 30 hair pins to hold her bun in and about 15 bobby pins to secure the hair net around the bun.  Yes!  I said hair net.  Like a lunch lady hair net.  It was also asked that the girls have hair nets around their bun (not their head, like lunch-ladies do) to help keep stray hairs down.  So after we got the bun secure with hair pins, I had to wrap the hair net around the bun several times and then secure it with bobby pins.  Needless to say....this all took some time!  Probably more time than it should have since I'm such a perfectionist.

Then there was the make-up.  She had to have blue eye shadow, pink blush, dark pink lipstick, and black eye liner.  Much more make-up than any 5 year old should wear.  But it was fun getting her all dolled up for her special event.  And she absolutely LOVED it.  All of the girls looked so cute!  And so grown up!

We had to go through this process twice!  For the dress rehearsal Friday evening and again for the recital Saturday afternoon.  And let me just say....I sure am glad I only have 1 girl to get ready for stuff like this.  When we found out I was pregnant with Noah, I cannot tell you how bad I wanted another girl.  You know...to even things out.  But, even though I still get a little nostalgic about all of the adorable little girl clothes that will never get used again by one of my kids, I am quite content only having one girl. 

So, here's pics of our adorable ballerina:

(She is third from the left in this last photo.)

What a fun experience this was for both of us!  She loved it so much, she wants to take ballet AND tap next year.  We'll see how much she likes it...but I'm looking forward to these next years and seeing how her interests and loves form and take shape. 

Blog Signature Brown

No comments: